Listen to Episode 020 with Sean Kim here:
Tell me what you think about when you hear the phrase: "break free and follow your passions".
For some, it would mean to quit their job and travel the world.
For others, it would mean letting go of a toxic relationship and finding their true love.
For Sean, it once meant dropping out of University and becoming the entrepreneur he always knew he was supposed to be.
And, coming from a conservative Korean family, that wasn't easy for him to do. He got a lot of resistance. (I'm Italian, so I know exactly where Sean is coming from!)
But, Sean saw the value in learning specific skills early on and he set out to learn by doing.
And at first, that meant to learn through failure.
He was broke, miserable, and even homeless at one point after he decided to drop out of university and then got denied entry to the US after having already sold everything and just being left with the backpack he had with him.
"I looked at the world a little bit differently than most of my friends."
With the last 700$ in his pocket, he grabbed his bags and left for Buenos Aries, Argentina. He knew that his money would take him much further there (because of the exchange rate) and also thought it could be a cool way of meeting other young entrepreneurs who liked to travel.
Going there was the turning point. It was the moment where Sean realized that he could be resourceful in the face of adversity. And this gave him tremendous confidence to move forward.
He knew he'd be okay. No matter what.
And, travelling also opened his mind to new ways of thinking. He started seeing things from a new perspective and quickly found creative ways to "hack" certain processes that other people were otherwise following blindly.
"We know nothing until we see the other side of the world."
I'm super excited to have had the opportunity to catch up with Sean for episode #20 of the Unleash Yourself podcast. I really think you're going to love this episode because it's less of an interview, and more of a conversation.
More specifically, in this episode of the Unleash Yourself podcast, you'll learn:
- How growing up in a conservative Korean family dictated the career Sean initially wanted to pursue.
- What happened when Sean realized that he wanted to take a different path than everyone else around him.
- The tipping point that allowed him to take the leap and drop out of university to chase his entrepreneurial dreams.
- How he got denied entry into the USA and how this left him homeless.
- Why he packed all his stuff and left for Buenos Aries.
- How he hacked the system in Argentina to instantly double his US dollars.
- How to shift from a mindset of scarcity to a mindset of abundance.
- How he used a website called angel.co to land remote marketing contracts.
- Why you need to start blogging and why other people want to hear YOUR stories.
- How Sean's entire story came full circle with the launch of Rype.
- And much, much more!
Want more of Sean? Check out these links:
Sean's blog: The Growth List
Sean's podcast: SKIM LIVE
Sean's new venture: Rype
This is the article in the Huffington Post that first introduced me to Sean: How I Went From Dropping Out of College to Freedom in Two Years
The title of this podcast was inspired by this post written by Sean.
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR Sean?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!