LISTEN TO EPISODE 037 WITH Jiro Taylor HERE:
Imagine yourself sitting on the couch.
You're holding a check for $200,000 for closing the biggest deal in your company's history.
How do you think you'd feel?
This is the dream for many of us; working in the finance industry, becoming a top performer, closing huge deals, and making insane money.
Living life as the real Wolf Of Wall-Street.
As insane as it sounds, this was the reality for Jiro Taylor.
He was the one sitting on the couch holding that check for $200,000 which he earned in just 1 day of work. What I didn't mention, however, was that he was watching National Geographic.
And, the reason why that's important to the story is because in that moment Jiro wanted nothing more to be the person he was watching on TV: living in nature, climbing all these peaks, and being his true self.
The person he had known he was for years but also he person he was ignoring.
"I felt this feeling in the pit of my stomach like I was a complete fake and a complete sellout. I felt this raw inauthenticity...like I was living someone else's dream."
Luckily, he had lived in Japan for a few years after graduation and had this acute awareness of the simplicity of life and how far more content spiritual people were than the people living the life of status and material things.
"I couldn't abide by the notion of spending my life wearing this suit, going up this elevator into this skyscraper to pick up a phone and look at a screen, and pretend to care about stuff. To put on a mask."
So he quit.
Just like that.
And today he's fully living who he actually is, rather than a script of a character he was supposed to be.
He re-defined what success means and started a meditation practice, travelled the world, read hundreds of books, and immersed himself deeply in Eastern philosophy.
"Meditation is a scientifically driven method of disconnecting with this ego-self and re-connecting with a part of you that's innate and authentic."
Today, Jiro's life is simple and beautiful.
And, he's journaled everything he's learned along the way on his blog Flowstate Collective.
Today, I had the incredible honour and privilege to speak to him and find out exact what he's done that's allowed him to find inner peace, incredible moments of stillness and unity, and how to achieve super-human levels of focus and connection.
"We are nature. We are human beings. We are wild creatures. Just go to nature and look at the trees. Look at the animals. And then ask yourself, is what I'm doing natural?"
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH Jiro taylor, YOU’LL LEARN:
- Why Jiro called me from the back seat of his van.
- How Jiro was able to make millions in the banking industry (he made $200,000 in one day) through persuasion, hustle, and relationships, and why it created massive imbalance in this life.
- What National Geographic taught him about himself, and his real dream life. (Hint: it wasn't about making millions!)
- The #1 reason why you need to redefine what success means.
- Why Jiro quit his high level banking job even though he was a top performer and had just closed the biggest deal in his company's history.
- How we are driven by the ego and why this may mean something completely different than you think.
- Why personal practice is the way to unleash yourself from feeling bounded by identifiers of who people think you are.
- Scientific and systematic evidence that meditation is the solution you're looking for.
- How to achieve peak states and moments of flow, where you feel superhuman.
- Why you need immense focus and concentration on one specific task to achieve flowstates.
- The #1 distinction between the flowstate and the meditative state.
- Why its not ideal to achieve flowstates constantly.
- The most powerful way to think about how to manage your life, backed by a neuroscientist.
- A short conversation about drugs like adderall, why people use them to achieve peak states, and Jiro's take on the situation.
- And, much much more!
WANT MORE OF Jiro taylor? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
Check out Jiro's website: FlowStateCollective.com
Listen to Jiro's podcast: The Flowstate Performance Podcast
Get social with Jiro on Facebook.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
Join The Practice: Jiro's meditation class that will lead to your freedom.
The Flow Session Strategy System and achieve flowstate more frequently.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Flow, The Secret To Happiness
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR Jiro?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!