LISTEN TO EPISODE 040 WITH JuVan Langford HERE:
I've been really focusing on being more vulnerable recently.
Letting go of control.
Finding true freedom in commitment.
I even challenged myself publicly in front of 20,000 people on Instagram to post about it daily.
And, it's true what they say: You attract what you think.
As I started doing this, JuVan Langford found his way into my life. We instantly connected over our passion for more and our drive to build a legacy by inspiring others.
"When I changed the way I looked at things, the things I looked at changed."
JuVan is special.
Between losing his father to Leukemia and living with his teen-mother through her battle with substance abuse at a young age, JuVan had to find a way out.
He had no father figure and no older brothers to show him the way, so he turned to sports and surrounded himself with a brotherhood of teammates and found mentors in his coaches.
"It got to a point where I was hurting. It hurt bad enough that I took baby steps and started changing things; breaking habits and creating new ones."
Today, JuVan hosts the vlog series The Thought Life and travels the globe inspiring men to share themselves more fully and openly, teaching them the beauty of vulnerability and it's value for your personal growth.
"I understand the power of presence."
He even gets me to open up about some of the struggles I've been going through, so make sure you tune in until the end!
And, if you feel connected to some of the topics we discussed share some of your vulnerabilities by commending at the bottom of this page. Don't worry, you're safe here.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH JuVan, YOU’LL LEARN:
- The challenges JuVan faced growing up in an inner city neighbourhood that was heavily influenced by drugs and alcohol.
- How getting adopted and changing school multiple times affected JuVan's identity.
- Why growing up without a father (JuVan lost his dad to Leukemia at 4 years old) and being sexually abused at a young age affected his ability to love himself, made him question his sexuality and made him feel "un-human".
- How mentors changed his life - JuVan calls them "temporary angels."
- How playing sports and being a part of a team made him feel connected for the first time.
- Why you need to create a valuable team, a brotherhood of like-minded people and how to attract them.
- The biggest reason why you need to share yourself and your story, and how not to feel judged by other's opinions.
- Why most men don't reach out for support and why being vulnerable was a game-changer for JuVan.
- The difference between being alone versus being by yourself.
- The reason why JuVan started "Thought Life", and what it means to him today.
- How to let go of control and the beauty you can find in in letting go. (I share something personal here.)
- And, much much more!
WANT MORE OF JuVan? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
Check out JuVan's website: http://juvanlangford.com/
Follow JuVan on Instagram: @JuvanLangford
Tweet JuVan by clicking here!
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
The MENtour: We create experiential content, safe community and thought-provoking conversations that support male teens in becoming productive members of society.
Check out JuVan on YouTube: Thought Life Vlog
Link to the poem I shared in the introduction: Sharing Yourself
If You Enjoyed This Episode, You'll Also Enjoy:
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR JuVan?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!