LISTEN TO EPISODE 049 WITH James LAwrence HERE:
It's not every day that you have the opportunity to speak to someone who's done something no one else on the entire planet has done.
Something most people laughed at and called impossible.
Something that doctors said was irrational.
Something that he may die doing.
So today, I'm super excited to share this phenomenal conversation with James "The Iron Cowboy" Lawrence who completed 50 Ironman distance triathlons, in 50 consecutive days, in 50 different states.
"You have to shift your mentality of trying to prove everyone else wrong, to proving yourself right. You have to turn it into positive energy and focus on what you can control."
And for those of you who don't know what an Ironman distance triathlon is, let me break it down for you:
Swim 2.4 miles (3.8km)
Bike 112 miles (180 km)
Run 26.2 miles (42.2 km)
Having done an Ironman myself in 2014, I have to admit that I thought this challenge was impossible when James first announced it.
Forget doing an Ironman, but if you've tried doing ANYTHING every day for 50 straight days, you know how hard it is to be consistent. Even if the task was as simple as flossing.
"There's always enough hours in the day for what you want to accomplish. It's just a matter of what you put a priority on."
So if you want to set a massive goal and actually achieve it, you'll want to listen to this episode of the Unleash Yourself podcast because James talks about the power of setting massive goals, how to build a team around you who's vital to your success, how to build your mental toughness so you'll never give up, and much, much more.
"Huge monstrous goals are never accomplished on their own. You need to have a supporting crew."
You'll also get a behind the scenes look at what it takes to set a Guinness World Record and accomplish something no one else in the world has ever done.
There are some incredible life lessons to be learned and you'll walk alway from this episode with incredible inspiration and energy to attack life in a whole new way.
James is an absolute beast!
"Races #16, #17, and #18 were very hard physically on me. I fell asleep on my bike and crashed. I Also lost most of my toenails."
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH James Lawrence, YOU’LL LEARN:
- How James proved the entire world wrong by doing 50 Ironman distance triathlons in 50 days in 50 different states.
- Why James had to deal with overwhelming amounts of negativity when he announced the 50-50-50 and how he allowed that to fuel him.
- Why James' initial mentality of "Let's prove everyone wrong" shifted to "Let's go out and prove ourselves right."
- How to cultivate your mental toughness by putting yourself into tough situations where you have an opportunity to face your fear, experience failure, and create a better you.
- The sport that James focused on in high school that he now credits a lot of his mental toughness to.
- How James used visualization and planned every course with GPS prior to the 50-50-50 so that he already went through each race before the start of the challenge.
- What James did to make sure he had enough fuel in the tank after only sleeping an average of 4 hours a night during the challenge.
- What an average day during the 50-50-50 challenge looked like, from the minute James woke up to the minute he packed the van and drove to the next state.
- How to accomplish more by creating a team.
- How to create massive goals, how to associate the right time-frame for those goals, and how to achieve them by being realistic, flexible, and creative.
- James' view on work/life balance.
- Why James adopted something called "The Power Minute" and how you can use it to your advantage to have intense focus when times are tough.
- Who James looks up to for inspiration and motivation.
- Why James still went ahead with the 50-50-50 even though doctors told him he could die doing it.
- What James is up to now that the 50-50-50 is over and what his plans are for the future.
WANT MORE OF James? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
James' website: TeamIronCowboy.com
Join James' 50-day challenge by following him on social media:
Follow James on Facebook.
Follow James on Instagram: @ironcowboyjames
Tweet James: @ironcowboyjames
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Jamie Oliver Foundation, the charity James raised money for through his 50-50-50 challenge.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL ALSO ENJOY:
EP 019: BEATING CANCER, RECEIVING A HERO'S HEART, AND BECOMING THE ULTIMATE IRONMAN (FEATURING DEREK FITZGERALD).
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR James?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!