LISTEN TO EPISODE 050 WITH Charlie Brenneman HERE:
If you watch the UFC, you might recognize this week's guest.
You may even know him as "The Spaniard" instead of Charlie Brenneman.
You may have seen him on Spike TV's reality TV show "Pros vs Joes", which he won.
You may remember his major upset over Rick Story in 2011 which is ranked as the #113 most memorable moment in UFC history, ahead of GSP's return from injury to beat Carlos Condit and reclaim the championship.
"When I get to the point of performance, I do best when I stop thinking. I just rely on my habits. My training. My preparation. Just go. Just go go go go go."
Or, you may know him as an author, speaker and entrepreneur.
Charlie Brenneman was a high school Spanish teacher when he decided to quit his job and take aim at fighting in the UFC.
What started out as a dream soon turned into a reality. Charlie fought 11 fights in the UFC and went head-to-head with some of the best fighters in the world, such as UFC Champion Johny Hendricks and current top-ranked light heavyweight Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.
The key ingredient in his climb to the top?
"I may have mentally become a fighter, but it was more-so the technical things, the tactics, the strategies, the physical actions, that I just repeated over and over again - and then by default, I became a fighter. If you want to put the time in, I could teach you to be a fighter too."
In this episode of the Unleash Yourself podcast, Charlie tells us how he worked his way to the top of and gives us an insight into the mind of a professional fighter.
We talk about work ethic, the power of waking up early, how to accomplish more through accountability, letting go of fear, accepting risk, and allowed yourself to feel UNLEASHED.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH Charlie Brenneman, YOU’LL LEARN:
- How Charlie went from high school Spanish teacher to UFC fighter.
- The defining moment in Charlie's college career that propelled him to fight for the Division All-American title when he was on the brink of quitting the sport entirely.
- How Charlie got cast on Spike TV's "Pros vs Joes" while being a high school teacher and what it was like to participate in a reality TV show.
- The mindset that Charlie had that differentiated him from all the other contestants and how it allowed him to win the series and go on to fight in the UFC.
- Why having a systematic approach to your work allows you to remove the self-doubt and achieve beyond your limitations.
- The concept of talent versus skill and why Charlie believes talent is overrated.
- Why Charlie wakes up before the sunrise every morning and why waking up at 4:30am allowed him to become a top-performer in all areas of his life.
- How to analyze your strengths and weaknesses and use your assets to your full advantage.
- Charlie's answer to the question: "Is the risk worth the reward when your not a top ranked fighter?"
- How Charlie prepares for a fight and why over analysis is not the best approach to take.
- How to remove fear from your mind and focus on the task at hand.
- The life-changing moment that propelled Charlie to the #7 ranked UFC fighter in the world and why beating Rick Story on 24-hours notice is one of the most memorable moments in UFC history.
- And much, much more.
WANT MORE OF Charlie? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
Get Charlie's book: Driven: My Unlikely Journey From Classroom To Cage
Charlie's website: charlie-brenneman.com
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Will Smith's inspirational speech about not being out-worked and being willing to die on a treadmill.
Charlie's online course: The Fighter's Mindset
Charlie's weigh in versus Rick Story - the fight that changed his life:
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL ALSO ENJOY:
ep 049: WHAT IT TAKES TO ACCOMPLISH THE IMPOSSIBLE WITH THE MAN WHO DID 50 IRONMANS IN 50 DAYS IN 50 STATES (FEATURING JAMES "THE IRON COWBOY" LAWRENCE)
EP 020: DROP OUT OF SCHOOL, START YOUR OWN BUSINESS, AND STOP GIVING A F*** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK (FEATURING SEAN KIM).
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR CHARLIE?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!