LISTEN TO EPISODE 051 WITH Tucker Max HERE:
Disclaimer: If you have any preconceived notions of who Tucker Max is, have any emotional reaction to hearing his name (positive or negative), I'd ask you to reserve judgement and listen to this episode with an open mind as it's probably way more valuable than you think.
Tucker Max is one of the most acclaimed authors you can come across.
Not only did Tucker become a #1 New York Times Best Seller with his book I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, but he hit the New York Times Best Sellers' list two other times after that.
And, he had 3 books on the New York Times Best Sellers' list at the same time.
Only 2 other authors can say they did that: Malcolm Gladwell and Michael Lewis.
"WHEN YOU PRODUCE SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE LIKE, MARKETING IS EASY."
He's even credited with having created his own genre known as fratire for recounting (in the most honest and open way you can imagine) his 20-something lifestyle: stories of getting so wasted that he would puke all over himself, detailed experiences of random and endless sex with strangers, and basically becoming a self-proclaimed Asshole.
Tucker has sold over 3 million books. Yet, he never set out to do any of this. He never expected to be an author.
It kinda happened by accident. (Tucker graduated from Duke Law, a Top-10 program.)
Here's what happened: after a crazy night out, Tucker would write an email about it and send it off to 9 of his friends. His friends found them to be so hilarious that they would share it with their friends, too.
"I DIDN'T START WRITING TO PROJECT AN IMAGE. I STARTED WRITING TO MAKE MY FRIENDS LAUGH."
It got to a point that Tucker's emails would be sent back to him from a complete different set of friends who had no clue that Tucker was the one who wrote the email in the first place.
That gave Tucker some validation. He realized that he had the entrepreneur's equivalent of product/market fit and decided to turn the concept into a book.
Tucker knows how to write in a way that connects with an audience, turns them into raving fans, and makes them want to spread his message for him.
In this episode of The Unleash Yourself Podcast, we talk about Tucker's transformation from Asshole to CEO, how to turn your idea into a book, write a book that's aligned with your specific goals (not everyone writes a book to become a NY Times Best Seller) and how Tucker's new business Book In A Box (which also kinda fell into his lap) can help you do it faster than you ever thought possible.
"CONFIDENCE COMES FROM DEMONSTRATED PERFORMANCE."
The thing I like about Tucker is that he got honest with himself, owned the fact that he wanted to make a change, and transformed himself completely. He didn't get stuck behind other people's expectations of who he was or feel bounded by those identifiers.
Talk about getting #UNLEASHED.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH Tucker Max, YOU’LL LEARN:
- Why Tucker went to law school and why most people go to law school for the wrong reasons.
- What Tucker did that got him fired from his first job with a law firm after only a few weeks and how this led to his career as an author (he would have never guessed it at the time).
- How writing emails for his 9 friends led to external validation.
- Why the New York Times created a new genre for Tucker's books.
- Why none of the men who tried to imitate Tucker's writing style ever got any traction.
- How Tucker was able to have 3 books on the New York Times Bestseller's list at the same time, and why his answer is MUCH simpler than you'd think.
- How Tucker transitioned from the Tucker Max you first heard about to the Tucker Max of today.
- How the idea for Tucker's new business Book In A Box fell into his lap.
- How to write, publish, and profit from writing a book and how to do it in faster than you ever thought possible. (Hint: Tucker explains how to do it in 12 hours.)
- Why not knowing anything about someone's story or idea allows you to ask the right questions.
- How to figure out if you have a book in you, and how Tucker can turn your idea into a published book.
- And much, much more.
WANT MORE OF Tucker? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
Check out Tucker's website: http://tuckermax.me/
Grab the free PDF Tucker gave away at the end of the interview: The Book In A Box Method: The New Way to Quickly and Easily Write Your Book...Even If You’re Not a Writer.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell
- Assholes Finish First
- Sloppy Seconds
- Hilarity Ensues
- Belligerence and Debauchery
And most recently, something a little different:
- Mate: Become the man women want.
Book mentioned by Tucker: The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod.
Freelancer? Want to apply for a gig with Book In A Box? You can, click here.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL ALSO ENJOY:
EP 020: DROP OUT OF SCHOOL, START YOUR OWN BUSINESS, AND STOP GIVING A F*** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK (FEATURING SEAN KIM).
Enjoy the podcast? Please support the show by telling your friends and sharing online:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR TUCKER?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!