LISTEN TO EPISODE 057 WITH Alec Torelli HERE:
I used to play online poker pretty seriously throughout college.
I got into the game in 2006 after the poker boom and quickly became obsessed with learning everything I could about being a profitable poker player.
And, by 2008 I was making a full-time income playing poker online.
If you read this 17-page case study you'll learn how I created and launched my very first online course (which still creates passive income for me today) by packaging my poker knowledge and experience into a digital product.
Yet, if it wasn't for people like Alec Torelli who started playing poker way before it became as mainstream as it is today and paved the way for people like me - I probably wouldn't be where I am.
"I DISCOVERED POKER AT A VERY YOUNG AGE AND I SAW A MASSIVE OPPORTUNITY IN AN INDUSTRY THAT WAS COMPLETELY RAW. LIKE THE WILD WEST. IT WAS A GOLD RUSH. AND, THE TALENT LEVEL WAS LOW SO WITH A MODEST AMOUNT OF WORK I COULD BE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE AROUND ME."
I first connected with Alec over Instagram back in February and we instantly followed each other purely based to how much we saw we had in common with one another. Then, lo and behold, our travels brought us both out to Italy for the summer and we finally got to hang out in person.
I love Alec's story of discovering poker at 16 years old, realizing how passionate he was about the game, and seeing the opportunity to quickly rise through the ranks and become world class.
He shares the details behind some of his biggest wins and allows us to learn from some of his biggest beats...and, I'm not just talking about stuff that happened at the poker table, but in life as well.
"POKER IS ONE OF LIFE'S BEST TEACHERS."
We discuss what it takes to become world class at something that revolves around a specific skill, how to stay cool and make the right decisions when you feel you're on an emotional rollercoaster, and why structure is important when you have a lot of freedom and autonomy in your work.
I'm super excited to share it all with you on this week's episode of The Unleash Yourself Podcast!
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH Alec Torelli, YOU’LL LEARN:
- Why Alec dropped out of college to pursue playing poker professionally and how he knew it was the right decision.
- How Alec dealt with the misconceptions around the image of what a poker player is and how he saw it as an opportunity and not an obstacle.
- How Alec went about learning the skills he needed to become world class at a card game and how anyone can reach an elite level at something that involves a learnable skill.
- What it's like to play in some of the biggest cash games in the world.
- Life as one of the best poker players in the world. (Alec made over $1 million dollars in 2007 alone.)
- How to structure your life in order to succeed and stay ambitious when you're your own boss, have all the freedom and time in the world, and could easily give into temptation to chose fun over work.
- What happened when the game briefly passed Alec by and he had to move down in stakes because he couldn't win in the biggest games anymore.
- How to deal with the emotional roller that comes with being a poker player (or an entrepreneur!) and how to keep a level head and make the right decisions no matter what.
- Why you should force yourself to play against people who are better than you, even if that means you may lose.
- Read my recent blog post: The 3 biggest entrepreneurial lessons I learned playing online poker professionally.
- And much, much more!
WANT MORE OF Alec? CHECK OUT THESE LINKS:
Check out Alec's YouTube channel.
Follow Alec on Instagram: @alectorelli
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Check out Alec's e-book: The Four Steps To Beating Anyone At Poker.
Grab Alec's video course: 4-Step Poker
The book Alec mentioned that had a big impact on him: Fooled by Randomness
Watch Alec play a hand versus Phil Hellmuth:
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR Alec?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!