LISTEN TO EPISODE 053 WITH Kyle Durand HERE:
What's one thing you really wish you could do but the idea of it makes you feel uncomfortable or even a little scared?
For me, it's dancing.
I never used to dance at parties or weddings and just the idea of it was enough to make me nervous.
So, a few months ago I decided to give myself a comfort zone challenge and signed up to private salsa dancing lessons. (I also had some added motivation in the sense that the girl I was in love with, who's now my girlfriend, loved dancing salsa...that always helps!)
My first lesson was frightening. The second a little less. And, after lesson #10, we even went to a salsa party and danced the night away.
Yes, in public.
I love the idea of stepping out of your comfort zone, so this week I invited my friend Kyle Durand on the show because he knows a thing or two about getting comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Kyle is a business coach who works closely with entrepreneurs in order to help them with confidence building, overcoming perceived limitations, and getting outside their comfort zone.
"Because nothing extraordinary happens within your comfort zone."
Kyle is incredibly inspiring to me and has an amazing story; from being in the US Military and in the US Navy and sleeping in Saddam Hussein's bathtub, to competing on American Ninja Warrior (one of my favorite TV shows!), to being an ultra-endurance athlete who ran over 30 marathons, 5 Ironmans, ran across the grand canyon, and just recently rode his bicycle from Yukon to Mexico.
"I do what I could with what I have. Failure doesn't exist... failure, to me, is not trying."
So, if you're struggling with venturing out of your comfort zone and really want to wake up out of your "comfort stupor", you'll love this episode of the Unleash Yourself podcast!
MORE SPECIFICALLY, ON THIS EPISODE OF THE UNLEASH YOURSELF PODCAST WITH Kyle Durand, YOU’LL LEARN:
- The turning point in Kyle's life that changed his perspective after 17 years in the military.
- Why it's normal to want to stay in your comfort zone and why Kyle thinks that venturing out is the best thing we could do for self-growth.
- How to deal with the fear that comes with stepping out of your comfort zone.
- How to give yourself permission and accept the fact that you want more.
- The weird story about Kyle sleeping in Saddam Hussein's bathtub.
- What it took to get selected as a participant to be on American Ninja Warrior and how Kyle made it to the finals. (Find out what the obstacle course is really like!)
- The #1 mistake entrepreneurs make that holds them back from getting started.
- How to navigate through the question: "What should I do with my life?"
- The importance of making time for "white space" and how Kyle finds it in nature.
- Why the process is more important than the result and how Kyle learned this the hard way.
- How to find time for the little things that are super important (working out, eating well, having a social life, etc) when you have a super busy schedule or feel overwhelmed by life.
- Listen to Kyle and I share the biggest lesson that participating in ultra-endurance events has taught us.
- And much, much more.
ENJOY THE PODCAST? PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY TELLING YOUR FRIENDS AND SHARING ONLINE:
And, if you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please pass this link along to them as well. Just use the share buttons on the left side of the screen. I’m sure they’ll appreciate you for it!
WANT TO CREATE AND LAUNCH AN
ONLINE COURSE...IN JUST A WEEKEND?!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR Kyle?
Comment below and let us know what's on your mind!